To the World’s Downhill racers,
I hope this message finds you safe, healthy, and with strong patience for our passion of Downhill Skateboarding and Street Luge racing. As we all know, the Covid-19 pandemic has greatly affected the entire sport's world; including the 2020 International Downhill Federation (IDF) World tour.
For the last 8 weeks, the IDF has been monitoring this unprecedented situation that the world is currently experiencing. We have stayed in touch with our stakeholders, which include: Event organisers, Continental representatives, and concerned members of the IDF, to acquire feedback on the different event locations around the world, discuss and assess the options that are currently available, and create scenarios that are deliberated and ready as the health crisis situation develops.
The current scenario of the 2020 World Tour:
- International borders are still closed in the countries hosting an international race,
- Preparation time for our members is inadequate for events that are confirmed less than 2 months before the event date (riders need time to train and make travel arrangements/ event organisers need time for event preparation and coordination), and
- The minimum 5 World Cups needed for a World Tour will no longer be possible.
The IDF believes that Downhill Skateboarding and Street Luge racing should be accessible to everyone. For that reason, we can not continue with the 2020 World Tour for 2020 World Champion rankings.
However, there are still a number of event organisers who hope to bring top-level skateboarding and street luge racing to as many members as is safely possible during the 2020 season. We ask that you show them your interest by RSVPing to their Facebook pages but refrain from booking non-refundable travel until further notice.
The events who still may be able to proceed are as follows:
- Velefique, Spain, July 2-5
- Volpaia, Italy, July 10-12
- Kozakov, Czech Republic, July 22-25
- Mesa Longboard Festival, Mexico, July 28-30
- Gravity Fest, USA, August 7-9
- Mt. Jefferson, USA, August 14-16
- GT Downhill, Guatemala, August 28-29
- Tour de Maryhill, USA, September 4-6
- Seaside, Philippines, TBD
Again, please do not book non-refundable travel until we are able to confirm the above events. By showing your support on the event Facebook pages, the event organizers will be able to plan for an event in the case that restrictions are lifted and the communities they serve are safe. While it is too early to release information about 2021, we are formulating the next steps in ensuring that IDF adapts to the current world situation; maximizing the capabilities, ideas, and strengths of our membership.
I’d like to send a huge hug of stoke and love to all of us who are challenged by this pandemic around the world. Together, we can safely get through this. Stay safe, stay healthy, and live strong with the good.